Friday, March 22, 2013

Phasing out the plastics

Today I began step three of my toxic-free journey.

Step one: Clean up my eating- Eat organic, non-GMO, non-processed foods (check)


Step two:  Clean up my personal care products- Get rid of harsh toxins, parabens, sulfates, and sulfites in personal care products.
Beauty products- deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, make-up, face wash, shower gel, moisturizer, hand sanitizer, lotion, and make-up remover  (Check)
Cleaning products- Still working on them

Step three: Clean up the storage system- Replace all plastic bags and storage containers with glass. (almost check)

All of my nuts, seeds, dried fruits, spreads, and flours have been transferred to glass containers. It is my goal to no longer have to use ANY plastic baggies or plastic containers. EVER! You might ask me why I'm doing this. Why do you feel the need to get rid of the plastics? Well the reason for this is that plastics contain hormones that leach into your food. This includes plastics that say they are BPA-free. Even the BPA-free plastics leach estrogen-like hormones into your food. It doesn't matter whether you leave them at room temperature, in the freezer, heat them in the microwave, about 70-95% of all plastics leach hormones. Scientists are still trying to figure out how harmful these hormones are, but until them I'm not taking my chances. Why would I want to ingest potentially harmful hormones when I can easily avoid them by switching to glass. Glass is the safer option and ultimately more cost effective. A lot of times your plastic containers will warp in the microwave or they'll stain from sauces. You have to replace them every so often because they just become gross and ugly. You do not have to worry about any of that with glass. Glass containers are non-porous and are easier to clean and sanitize than plastics. How much money do you spend on plastic baggies? Especially if you're a parent with children in school, you probably buy them often. If you switch to glass containers you will not have to purchase so many baggies which get thrown out after each use. While you're busy saving yourself from hormones and toxins you're also saving the planet by switching to glass. Who doesn't like to save the planet? 

Here are two websites with more information about the hormones in plastics.
http://www.npr.org/2011/03/02/134196209/study-most-plastics-leach-hormone-like-chemicals
http://science.time.com/2011/03/08/study-even-bpa-free-plastics-leach-endrocrine-disrupting-chemicals/


My new stash of glass jars

Washed and labeled each jar 
Everything placed in its new jar

My cabinet before
My cabinet after

No comments:

Post a Comment