Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Beginning: Swapping out toxins

Hey everyone! Yesterday I found this great video on YouTube about four of the toxins you want to avoid when swapping out your personal care items for healthier toxin free ones. Obviously there are a lot more than four, but they only cover four in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR0Zg6j3wQE

Since I began this journey I've been able to swap out my deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, and lotion for healthier options. One major staple in my house is organic virgin coconut oil. I CANNOT get enough of this stuff! I use it for cooking, deodorant, moisturizer, and blemish treatment. I use organic virgin coconut oil as deodorant because it has natural anti-fungal and antimicrobial properties so it helps keep the odor causing bacteria at bay. It's antimicrobial and antibacterial properties are the same reasons I use it on blemishes/pimples. Works great! I just dab a little bit of coconut oil onto any blemish and they usually disappear within a day. If they're being extra stubborn I use some tea tree oil as well. Coconut oil is also great as a hair mask. Massage a generous amount on your scalp and through your hair and let it sit for 20min-1hr. Then rinse, shampoo, and condition (you may have to shampoo twice depending on how much you put in your hair.) It'll leave your hair moisturized, shiny, and less frizzy.

The shampoo and conditioner I use is Desert Essence Coconut Shampoo and Conditioner. It smells amazing! They also make other scents if you're not a coconut fan. Desert Essence is great because you don't have to use a lot, it rinses clean, and doesn't weigh your hair down. I have long thick curly hair and I use half the amount of shampoo as I used to with the big name brands. It's also cruelty-free, paraben-free, sulfate-free, wheat-free, gluten-free, and vegan. Love it!

One of the most versatile products I use is my homemade body butter. It's a mixture of raw organic cocoa butter, organic virgin coconut oil, sweet almond oil, and non-GMO corn starch. I use this stuff as moisturizer, lotion, make-up primer, and leave in conditioner. You literally walk around smelling like chocolate. It's great stuff! I'll never buy hair gel, mousse, or creme again. This stuff tames my crazy frizzy hair so well and brings out the shine. A little bit goes a long way with this body butter. It's really easy to make and not very time consuming.

No comments:

Post a Comment